Complete the MSNZ Competition Licence Form form to obtain a Competition digital licence. This licence is required to attend all MSNZ events, including ClubSport Basic events.
Use this form to apply for Junior, National, International licences or Visa applications.
Completing the Form
All of your personal details from your profile will auto-complete the application form. Any personal information you complete on your licence will update into your profile.
Complete all other fields, check the terms and conditions then click Submit. A payment cart will appear for you to pay any fees. Once completed, you may need to complete a medical assessment and book an exam.
After all required items have been submitted, MSNZ will review your licence. Once approved you will receive a confirmation email and access will be enabled for you to view your licence in the MotorSport New Zealand app.
More Information on the Licencing Process
The grades list will display after the date of birth field is entered. Junior licence grades are available for ages 12 to 15. Senior grades will display for ages 16 and above.
The below table details the grade settings:
- New Application - these grades are available for selection on new licence applications
- Upgrade to - when upgrading a licence with this grade setting, these grades are available for selection to upgrade to
- Medical Assessment Required - these grades require a medical assessment on application, and potentially on renewal
- Examination Required - these grades require a medical examination to complete the application. On renewal of the licence, an exam is not required.
|Description||New Application||Upgrade To||Medical Assessment Required||Examination Required|
|ClubSport Basic||Yes||ClubSport, ClubSport Junior||No||No|
|ClubSport||Yes||National Race 1, National Rally 1||Yes||Yes|
|ClubSport Junior||Yes||National Race 1, National Rally 2||Yes||Yes|
|National Race 1||Yes||National Race 2||Yes||Yes|
|National Race 1 Junior||Yes||National Race 2||Yes||Yes|
|National Race 2||No||International D-C (Circuits)||Yes||No|
|National Race 2 Junior||No||Yes||No|
|National Rally 1||Yes||National Rally 2||Yes||Yes|
|National Rally 1 Junior||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|National Rally 2||No||International D-R (Roads)||Yes||No|
|International D-C (Circuits)||No||International C-C (Circuits)||Yes||No|
|International D-R (Roads)||No||International C-R (Roads)||Yes||No|
|International C-C (Circuits)||No||International Race B||Yes||No|
|International C-R (Roads)||No||Yes||No|
|International Race B||No||International Race A||Yes||No|
|International Race A||No||Yes||No|
New, Renew, Upgrade, and Downgrade
- You can apply for a new licence at any time.
- You can renew a licence if your previous licence is not older than 24 months. Renewing a licence will copy all fields from the original licence and lock the grade field.
- You can upgrade a licence if the previous licence is not older than 24 months. A pro-rata fee will be applied based on the cost of the new licence and the remaining months for your current licence. The expiry date will be retained from the original licence.
- You can downgrade a licence if the previous licence is not older than 24 months. No fees will be charged or rebated for downgrading. The expiry date will be retained from the original licence.
Upgrading to a Senior Licence
Juniors can upgrade their Junior grade licence to a Senior grade when they turn 16. They will need to complete an upgrade licence and choose either the existing senior equivalent grade or higher.
Multi Grade Licences
If a current Rally or Race licence is held and you apply for a new licence of the opposite grade then you will only be charged the higher of the two fees. The expiry date of the new licence will be set to be the same as the existing licence. Both grades will then display on your digital licence.
Depending on the licence grade you are applying for, a medical assessment or licence exam is required. On renewal of a licence, a new examination is not required. These forms/exams will need to be completed before a licence will be approved.
- Pending - Application lodged and waiting for MSNZ.
- Approved - MSNZ has reviewed the licence and all conditions are satisfied.
- Declined – MSNZ has reviewed and has declined the application.
- Disabled – A licence can be disabled if it is historic or if MSNZ have decided to revoke your licence.
Note: If the MSNZ Competition Licence is approved and you do not have an approved club membership you will not be able to race. You may still register for an event but you may not be able to sign in to the event.
For a Clubsport or national licence, the expiry date will be set to the last day of the approved month + 12 months. On renewal of a licence, this should add 12 months to the end of the current expiry date.
For an international licence, the expiry date will be the 31 December of that year. If applied for in November or December then the expiry date will be set to 31 December of next year.
After completing the MSNZ Competition Licence a payment cart will open for you to pay the application fees. Once payment has been completed then you may get a medical assessment form requiring completion. This can either be completed at this time or completed later, just submit it to save the form.