Complete the MSNZ Competition Licence form to obtain a Competition digital licence. This licence is required to attend all MSNZ events.
Use this form to apply for Junior, National, International licences or Foreign Licence Recognitions.
Before you can apply for a MSNZ Competition Licence you must first have an approved and current club membership.
Completing the Form
All of your personal details from your profile will auto-complete the application form.
Complete all other fields, check the terms and conditions then click Next. If required, complete the medical assessment form. A payment cart will then appear for you to pay any fees. Once completed, you may need to book an exam if this is a new M/C/R grade licence.
After all required items have been submitted, MSNZ will review your licence. Once approved you will receive a confirmation email and access will be enabled for you to view your licence in the MotorSport New Zealand app.
More Information on the Licencing Process
The grades list will display after the date of birth field is entered. Junior licence grades are available for ages 12 to 15. Senior grades will display for ages 16 and above.
The below table details the grade settings:
- New Application - these grades are available for selection on new licence applications
- Upgrade to - when upgrading a licence with this grade setting, these grades are available for selection to upgrade to
- Medical Assessment Required - these grades require a medical assessment on application, and potentially on renewal
- Examination Required - these grades require a passed examination to complete the application. On renewal of the licence, an exam is not required. An exam can be done 6 months before the licence application or before the application is approved.
|Description||New Application||Upgrade To||Medical Assessment Required||Examination Required|
|M Grade||Yes||C1 Grade, R1 Grade, C2 Grade, R2 Grade||Yes||Yes|
|Junior M Grade||Yes||M Grade, C1 Grade, Junior C1 Grade, R1 Grade, Junior R1 Grade, R2 Grade Junior, Junior C2 Grade, C2 Grade, R2 Grade||Yes||Yes|
|C1 Grade||Yes||C2 Grade, Int D-C (Circuit), Int C-C (Circuit)||Yes||Yes|
|Junior C1 Grade||Yes||C1 Grade, C2 Grade, Junior C2 Grade||Yes||Yes|
|C2 Grade||No||Int C-C (Circuit), Int D-C (Circuit)||Yes||No|
|Junior C2 Grade||No||C2 Grade||Yes||No|
|R1 Grade||Yes||Int D-R (Roads), Int C-R (Roads), R2 Grade||Yes||Yes|
|Junior R1 Grade||Yes||R1 Grade, Junior R2 Grade||Yes||Yes|
|R2 Grade||No||Int D-R (Roads), Int C-R (Roads)||Yes||No|
|Junior R2 Grade||Yes||R2 Grade||Yes||Yes|
|Int D-C Grade||No||Int C-C (Circuit)||Yes||FIA|
|Int D-R Grade||No||Int C-R (Roads)||Yes||FIA|
|Int C-C Grade||No||Int B, Int A||Yes||FIA|
|Int C-R Grade||No||Yes||FIA|
|Int B||No||Int A||Yes||FIA|
|Foreign Licence Recognition||Yes||No||No|
If you were born in any other country other than New Zealand then you will need to upload proof of NZ visa or address in New Zealand.
Foreign Licence Recognition
If you are competing on a licence issued from an overseas ASN then you will need to complete the competition licence form and select foreign licence recognition as the grade. Enter your licence and visa details.
If you are a New Zealand citizen and would like to purchase an internal visa this fee will be charged on your application.
New, Renew, Upgrade, and Downgrade
- You can apply for a new licence at any time.
- You can renew a licence if your previous licence is not older than 24 months. Renewing a licence will copy all fields from the original licence and lock the grade field.
- You can upgrade a licence if the previous licence is not older than 24 months. A pro-rata fee will be applied based on the cost of the new licence and the remaining months for your current licence. The expiry date will be retained from the original licence.
- Upgrading to a international licence will charge the full price and set the expiry date to 31/12 of that year unless in November or December where it will expiry next year.
- You can downgrade a licence if the previous licence is not older than 24 months. No fees will be charged or rebated for downgrading. The expiry date will be retained from the original licence.
Upgrading to a Senior Licence
Juniors can upgrade their Junior grade licence to a Senior grade when they turn 16. They will need to complete an upgrade licence and choose either the existing senior equivalent grade or higher.
Multi Grade Licences
If a current Rally or Race licence is held and you apply for a new licence of the opposite grade then you will only be charged the higher of the two fees. The expiry date of the new licence will be set to be the same as the existing licence. Both grades will then display on your digital licence.
If upgrading to an international licence while holding another national licence then the current national licence expiry date will be updated to 31/12.
You can renew multiple licences simultaneously by clicking the renew button and choosing to renew either a single license or both. This will open both licence applications for you to review. Once completed, you may be required to undergo a medical assessment before proceeding to the payment cart.
Junior and Upgrade Exemptions
If an exemption is required on a Junior licence or on an upgrade then you can apply for this on the licence application form. Enter all the details required for the exemption to be processed.
Parent consent is required if you are younger than 18 years old. Fill in the parent/guardian details, then download and print the Junior Indemnity Declaration. This needs to be signed by a parent/guardian then uploaded into the application.
Depending on the licence grade you are applying for, a medical assessment or licence exam maybe required. On renewal of a licence, a new examination is not required. These forms/exams will need to be completed before a licence can be approved.
- Pending - Application lodged and waiting for MSNZ.
- Approved - MSNZ has reviewed the licence and all conditions are satisfied.
- Declined – MSNZ has reviewed and has declined the application.
- Disabled – A licence can be disabled if it is historic or if MSNZ have decided to revoke your licence.
Note: If the MSNZ Competition Licence is approved and you do not have an approved club membership you will not be able to race. You may still register for an event but you may not be able to sign in at the event.
For a clubsport or national licence, the expiry date will be set to the last day of the approved month + 12 months. On renewal of a licence, this should add 12 months to the end of the current expiry date.
For an international licence, the expiry date will be the 31 December of that year. If applied for in November or December then the expiry date will be set to 31 December of the next year.
After completing the MSNZ Competition Licence a payment cart will open for you to pay the application fees. Once payment has been completed, you may get a medical assessment form requiring completion. This can either be completed at this time (submit) or completed later (save). If the form has been saved you may edit it, and once it has been completed, click submit.